Thursday, April 17, 2008

you lookin' for me?

The statistics counter I use allows me to view what pages people come from to find my blog and I have become fascinated—nay, obsessed—with the searches people use that bring them to this blog.

A number of people search my name, which is swell and I love that. In France, Google asked Será que quis dizer: Sophia Doubling but the person knew better and found me anyway. Someone from Australia searched for me, which is way cool. And someone searched for Sophie Mayeux, which morphs together me and my friend Lara Mayeux, whose blog is on my roll. Someone searched yankee chick colums, someone searched sophie d travel writer and someone searched needlepoint – Sophia. I clicked through to that search and learned that Sophia is a prolific designer of needlepoints—and that this person went through 20 search pages of the right Sophia before clicking through to the wrong one. She probably thought it was the right Sophia’s blog and wouldn’t that have been exciting? I’m sure I disappointed her.

A post about driving from Austin to Dallas attracted people searching Dallas rest stops I-35 and txdot safety rest stop saledo(sic) A couple of jerky fans checked in, one who searched where can i find best beef jerky in between dallas and austin texas and another who just plugged in texas I-35 jerky. And one person is shopping for art and searched chainsaw sculpting Dallas.

Another traveler wondered, What do females wear in Dallas texas in the winter. Dunno where that one ended up.

A few people counted on me to save them embarrassment by seeking pronunciation guides: name pronunciation nygaard, (you know who you are), pronunciation of names Iggy (know anyone in Poland, Iggy? That’s where the inquiry came from), clara name pronunciation, pronunciation of the baby name maile and someone from the Philippines wondered how to pronounce Loehmann, although Google asked Ibig mo bang sabihin ay: pronounce Lohmann,. I assume these folks were directed to the post about tricky names.

The searches bullying vs. narcissism and can empathy be learned brought seekers to a post about bullies and narcissists

Two people searched for Jean Fain, who taught us self-control when eating Twinkies (if the two aren’t mutually exclusive). One person looked for jean fain twinkie and another believes, jean fain make you thin.

I assume it was Donnas fans who searched the donnas and the inexplicable the donna bullies. They were taken to the same post as the person who searched sophie bent over. I don't want to think about that one...

A post about my mom’s sewing stuff attracted a couple of seamstresses, one of whom was seeking, around neck hanging magnifying glass sewing –loupes, and another less specific searcher who just wanted a sewing gizmo.

A couple of folks must be wanting thoseodd-looking Aztec dogs I photographed and searched, how long xoloescuintle in heat, and adopt xoloescuintle.

There were some random searches for poo-pourri, Jennifer Weiner and middle-aged broads, (not to reopen that can of worms).

A search for boomers and mistrust of government brought the seeker to the post on growing up in the 1970s.

And then, saving the best for last, there were the truly oddball searches:

cartoon cow daylight savings

"special delivery" dallas texas what to do when man comes with package

lusty thai companion in Bangkok
(I don’t know what page they found, but I’m deeply disturbed.

And my personal favorite, which is practically an anagram of my name:

I feel blind again Sophie

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sophie Mayeux?! I love it!

Your keywords are *way* more exciting than mine. More people find my site by searching for Toon (my advisor) than by searching for me. Lame.

Anonymous said...

I am glad people are looking for a correct pronunciation of my last name. I'm used to people screwing up my first name and that's understandable with the amount of variations on it, but when my last name gets (mis)pronounced so that it sounds like a racial slur I want to hit people.

Sophie said...

OMG, I never thought of that Kristen! It wouldn't occur to me to use a short "y". (I guess that's what you would call it.)

Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised. (or maybe not).

I also get "knee-guard" a lot.