Monday, April 28, 2008

instant replay


My friends Chuck and Susan in fine disco form


According to the public radio show Marketplace (spinning off a Forbes Magazine article), while gay businesses in general are booming, gay bars are facing extinction. (Story here.)

This is a good thing because it means we find it less necessary to segregate ourselves according to sexual orientation. One person interviewed suggested—and he may be quite right—that the trend applies more to the coasts than to the rest of the nation, where the risks of hitting on the wrong same sex person may be a lot riskier. Hit on the wrong person in New York City and you’ll probably get a “no thanks,” or maybe a night of experimentation by someone who will claim to have been too drunk to remember the next day. Hit on the wrong person someplace like Wyoming and you may be beaten, tied to a fence and left to die. (You know what I mean.)

But I digress … my intent is to reminisce about gay bars in the 1970s, when I was a card-carrying, Halston perfume-wearing fag hag in four-inch heels and Qiana.

The disco movement may have been popularized by the breeders of Saturday Night Fever (a movie I adore), but it was launched by gay men. The first time I danced until dawn was at a disco called Galaxy 21, on 23rd St., near the Chelsea Hotel, which (like the rest of New York City) was a whole lot seedier then. Nancy Spungen had not yet died there; it was still the kind of place where that kind of thing happened.

I was in 11th grade. Galaxy 21 had three stories and that was the first time I’d ever heard Donna Summer faking an orgasm in “Love to Love You Baby.” After a night of dancing and drinking vodka tonics, I went with friends to breakfast at the Cosmos Coffee Shop, on 58th St. Then I dragged my friend Susan home with me to face my parents. We we were met by the stone-angry face of my father waiting for us at the kitchen table. Yikes. Yeah, I was in all kinds of trouble.

But a fag hag was born.

Our casual weeknight hangout was The Barefoot Boy, a dark, woody (no pun intended), cozy neighborhood bar in the East 30s where I learned to do the Hustle. This place was popular with older men looking for younger—chicken hawks, we called them. It’s also where I tried poppers (amyl nitrate) the first time. Yuck. Never liked it but people dancing by sometimes just stuck under the noses of other dancers for a snort.

Sometimes friends and I went to Ice Palace on 57th Street for their Sunday afternoon tea dances. I saw Ethel Merman sitting at the bar there once, surrounded by fluttery young men. That was when she had a disco album. Ice Palace had a “no open-toed shoes” policy which was designed to discourage women. We went anyway, in closed-toe shoes.

When Xenon opened, that became the hangout for my me and my friends. That wasn’t so much a gay bar as full-out glitzy disco—kind of the poor man’s Studio 54, where I went just once. I saw Robin Williams there. He gave my red pumps and vintage robin’s egg blue silk capri pants a good once over, then looked disappointed when he saw the rest of me.

Xenon was great over-the-top fun, with lots of smoke and flashing lights, a giant neon pinball machine, a spaceship that lowered from the ceiling…

Disco Sally, world’s oldest fag hag, a tiny little lady who I believe was an attorney, was often there, surrounded by an adoring gay entourage. I saw Eartha Kitt there once, dancing with a boa constrictor that was a regular (yes, the snake was regular); and Sylvester Stallone, who was surprisingly short; and Truman Capote, hat and all. And there was a guy, I forget what we called him, who spent every night doing interpretive dance alone.

When I moved to Dallas in the 1980s, my gay bar hangout was the Crews Inn on Fitzhugh, where my friend Stan (RIP) and I would get absolutely blotto on wicked strong happy hour drinks Friday nights. Yikes, I can still remember how quickly those hit, and I remember reeling out of there.

I went to the Village Station only once, as I recall. Same with the Roundup. I was new to Texas at that time and seeing people two-step was interesting in itself. Seeing guys two-step together was like entering a parallel universe. I recall feeling that women were not welcome at the Roundup.

I went to JRs once or twice, too, but by that time I was losing interest in bars in general and gay bars in particular because it was beginning to sink in for me that gay boys weren’t just looking for the right woman.

One of the attractions of gay bars for me at the time was that I could go and have fun and never get hit on, which I actually liked. Plus, I always had someone to dance with. (Old joke: Why did God make gay men? So fat chicks would have someone to dance with.) And gay men told me often how FABULOUS I was, especially when I wore Qiana and Halston perfume, which actually was a gift from a gay boy I knew in high school. I slept with this gay boy at one point--I suspect I was a last ditch effort for him. It wasn’t much fun for either of us…

If gay bars go the way of record stores, it will definitely be the end of an era. Not a bad thing. But they were great fun for me, back in the day.

12 comments:

Chelle Cordero said...

I remember the first time I was hit on by a woman, I said "thanks but no". But I couldn't help but feel flattered when I looked around the crowd and saw A LOT of really beautiful people.

Unknown said...

In New Orleans, it was a choice of tourists, uptown snobs or gay bars. You can guess which was clearly the best. This married couple made some long lasting friendships.

Sophie said...

Ha! Yup, not to stereotype, but gay men (in particular) know how to partee--which is why I hyphenate them as festive-Americans.

Anonymous said...

Ironically the only place I've actually been hit on by a woman was in Flower Mound, Texas. And I'm from the SF Bay Area... which hopefully contributed to my calm understanding-thanks-but-no-thanks response. (at the gym. too bad the photog didn't come on that day.)

Sophie said...

Putting the mound in Flower Mound? (Wacka wacka)

Iggy said...

How apropos:
As I was reading the line, "I was a card-carrying, Halston perfume-wearing fag hag in four-inch heels and Qiana," On Broadway by George Benson kicked in on my iTunes player.

Iggy said...

...with jazz hands! (Ah, Bob Fosse how I miss ya.)

Iggy said...

A dark woody? Madam, I'm not in the habit of making threats, but there will be a letter in The Times about this tomorrow morning!

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S why it was named Flower Mound. No wonder I never saw any actual flowers anywhere!

(now this page will come up in some poor middle school kid's search on "history of Flower Mound.")

Mr. Rid said...

Ethel Merman's Disco Album is one of my favorite good/bad records. Reportedly she hated recording it and died a few months after it was produced.

Sophie said...

So you're saying disco killed Ethel Merman?

Mr. Rid said...

YES, and disco itself was dying at that point as well (late '79). I will always be wistfully envious of your N.Y. stories/ upbringing.
As a teen I loved anything Woody Simon created
and when the first Patti Smith and Ramones albums dropped I wanted to be a Nuevo Manhattanite.