Saturday, April 19, 2008

creative writing

Here are some of my early literary efforts, from my third grade Creative Writing folder. My teacher was Mrs. Fischer, who I didn't like at all. She was tightly wound.

Sophy Dembling
Class 3-409
P.S. 166 Man.
Sept. 30, 1966

Back to school Feelings

When I was walking back to school.
On September 12th.
I felt I never saw the place,
Or any teachers face.
Even though I’m in third grade
I felt I’v never spelled my name

Back then, I spelled it Sophy because it seemed more manageable for a little girl.


Sophy Dembling
Class 3-409
P.S. 166 Man.
Nov. 2, 1966

Colors

My favorite two are red and blue.
Now red and blue are nothing new
But every word I’ve said is true.
Black, gold, and silver are all right
Also yellow, green and white.
Green I hate,
But that’s all I ever see.
Green, green, green,
Is all I’ve ever seen.
Green dresses green ribbons or green, green, green books
Green paper green leaves green crayons green trees.
But still my favorite two are red and blue.

Actually, I kind of like green.

Sophy Dembling
Class 3-409
P.S. 166 Man.
Nov. 9, 1966

How The Giraffe got his long Neck

Long long ago there was a giraffe and an old bear now in those days a giraffe had a very short neck and one day the bear asked the giraffe to race with him and while they were racing the giraffe got his head cought on a branch and it got stretched out.

Note that the story is all one sentence.

Jimmy the Jolly Jumping Jack

In my toy chest way far down
Is a little box and a little clown
When I open the box up he pops
Into our room but he never knocks

Mrs. Fischer said that one was “very good.”

There was a young man of France
Who asked an old lady to dance
Now how could this be
Well he’s only three
Which gives the old lady a chance

My first dirty limerick.

Sophy Dembling
Class 3-409
P.S. 166 Man.
Dec. 8, 1966

A Flight to Happy Days Land

Happy Days land is beautiful
With birds of red and blue
Happy Days land is wonderful
The place for me and you
Happy Days land is magical
Never will a tear drop (Mrs. Fischer changed it to Never a tear will drop)
Happy days land is gay and happy (She changed it to happy and gay)
All we do is sing and hop (she changed it to We all do sing and hop)
So do take a grip to this wonderful garden,
Full of Girls and Boys
Full of little creatures
Full of a joyful noise

Mrs. Fischer thought Happy Days Land was just "OK." Everybody's a critic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My third grade teacher was mean too. What the hell?

Sophie said...

Hm, maybe third graders are particularly evil and require Mrs. Fischers to keep them in line.

Iggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iggy said...

That giraffe story would be the perfect pitch for a movie, and would probably get you a production deal.

And where is this Happy Days Land? I'd like to go there.

Unknown said...

I cannot believe Mrs. Fischer had the nerve to re-write your poems! Who does that?!