Wednesday, April 16, 2008

lowbrow talk

I’ve spared the highbrow among you long enough. It’s time for a little American Idol chatter. Not a lot, just a little.

First of all, were we all SHOCKED and APPALLED when handsome Michael Johns was booted last week? Not that I voted, but I can’t imagine why he was sent home when Carly stayed on—I liked her tons in the beginning but she’s choking. Not to mention the bland little blonde, Kristy (who reminds me of Carrie Underwood, who I also think is a yawn) and the singing Smurf, Archuleta. Yeah, yeah, he’s got a great voice but he needs a few years of seasoning before he’s interesting. Or even Brooke, who was my first favorite but who appears to lack the stamina for stardom. At the moment I’m backing David Cook, who I call “the little Tom guy” because he reminds me of my favorite rock and roller. I like dredlockboy OK, too.

The guys outdid the girls last night but that doesn’t surprise me—they had to be creative with Mariah Carey songs while the girls would naturally suffer in comparison.

Which brings me to Mariah Carey. First of all, are those things real? They are a force of nature. I think Archuleta lost his virginity when he hugged her.

Second, Mariah has reached towering heights of fame without entering my consciousness at all. I knew she was out there but couldn’t tell you a single hit before last night, even though she’s out-hit Elvis (but it’s kind of apples and oranges when you consider the changed media landscape).

I did recognize Always Be My Baby which I actually don’t mind. And I know Without You, but the Nilsson version ‘cause I’m old.

Mostly, though, I struggle to find the song in Mariah Carey songs. I feel that way about a lot of modern R&B—it just seems to noodle and meander with a lot of layers and beats and heavenly choirs but with nothing for my brain to latch on to. Which might be a good thing, since it saves me from earworms.

Now, did you know Bulgaria has an Idol competition? Here (thanks to Vagabondish) is a notable audition:

5 comments:

Karen Harrington said...

I'm really just stopping by to feel smarter by association. :)

nerver said...

That poor kid and his tiny pants...

Sophie said...

And you know from pants!

Unknown said...

I miss Michael Johns so very, very much already. :( So much for my weekly eye candy.

I'm with you. This David Cook guy is something else. Peter and I want him to be our friend. (Have you heard the stories about his brother with cancer, and being in the hospital because of the stress of finding out about his brother having a relapse, etc? It's very sad and makes him seem so much more human to me than the others. Anyway, starry-eyed ramblings over.)

Disney Archuletta must go. Soon.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been getting into this season as much, last season I thought was a little more interesting (I wonder whatever happened to Sanjaya anyway?)... this sason, the guys are just better overall. Most of the female Top 12 just seemed boring - the only one I thought seemed orignal was that one rocker chick with the funky hair who ddn't really fit in anyway. I hope David C wins too.