Saturday, April 5, 2008

don't look at me

Exercise. Sheesh. I love it, hate it, love it, hate it.

While I have remained consistent with my yoga practice (except while in India, oddly), I’ve lost interest in everything else of late. The Dallas Morning News has decided it doesn’t want anymore fitness DVD reviews (it’s all local, local, local these days—see yesterday’s blog) and so that's no longer keeping me active. I used to do several DVDs to find one worth reviewing (and unless a DVD clearly and unmistakably bites early on, I do all of them all the way through). Now my fitness library is great and growing but I have no outlet for reviews. I could review them here, but it’s more fun to get paid. Any volunteers?

Yoga and dog walking have not been enough to keep me in shape so I’m now bullying myself back onto the program—yoga, cardio, strength. I’m not sure why I go off exercise sometimes, considering how much better it makes me feel about myself and everything else. When I’m really off the program, even the mantra “suit up and show up” doesn’t work for me like it usually does. I suit up and sit around.

Partly it’s just scheduling. Fitting in workouts around travel can be difficult. Then, once I’m out of the habit, it takes a kick in the ass to get me back in. My kick in the ass came last night, while lolling on the couch watching Gimme Shelter. (We’re all Stones all the time here these days. And, btw, the movie is even better than I remember.) I was wearing sweats and I still felt fat and flabby. Bleah. I kept rearranging my elastic waistband, looking for the place that didn’t make me feel bad about myself. Hm. Now I know why old guys wear their pants under their armpits. It’s the only place the waistband doesn’t cut right through a fat roll. (TMI? Sorry.)

So I just did 40 minutes of dance aerobics and 10 minutes of core on a fitness ball and boy, I’ve slipped. It happens so fast. A month off the program and my abs were screamin’ through the crunches.

Sometimes I wish I could stop caring and just pork out on Popeye’s and chocolate. But I’m hooked. Knowing how good fit can feel, I just can’t let go. Not permanently, anyway. I'll be sore tomorrow, though.

A reminder for locals: Black and Blue, Tom’s new Rolling Stones tribute band, makes its debut at the AllGood CafĂ© in Deep Ellum tonight. It should be fun, so if you’re out and about, please stop by. They’ll go on around 9-9:30—nice and early! They’ll do two sets and Tom says the second set will really rock.

3 comments:

Chelle Cordero said...

Ok, ok, you guilted me into this - be back in about 30 minutes, I'm off to use my exercise bike now.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... I totally fell off the wagon when I had the little dog this past week. He was my excuse. You'd think dog walking would count, but... considering you stop about 100 times for plant-sniffing, bird chasing, and bodily functions... yeah, need to kick it into high gear this week!

Sophie said...

Yeah, Jack isn't allowed to stop for every yummy stench. We wouldn't get past the front yard if I let him...