Tuesday, April 22, 2008

tuesday stuff

To quote a friend, “not saying ‘I told you so’ is extremely overrated. I think we should be able to say it as often as we like. It's like a polite smack upside the head.”

So when I saw The Dallas Morning News quoted this LA Times online feature about the yuckiness that is Dr. Phil, I felt free to holler “I told you so” at my morning paper.

I’m pleased the LA Times mentions our book, however I did write to the paper pointing out that we did not say Dr. Phil had an affair with a 19-year-old patient, as alleged in this feature. In fact, we stuck to the official story, that the unethical dual relationship was because Phil hired this young woman to work in his biofeedback lab. Allegations of sexual impropriety were made by the tabloids, quoting unnamed sources.

Here’s a sobering thought—this Wall Street Journal financial columnist says these days, we’re better off investing in food than in investments. He suggests stockpiling non-perishables, since the cost of food is rising so fast. Woe is me, the sky is falling…

But not that fast, according to another WSJ writer, who points out that as much as we whine about poverty, we do all have iPods, DVD players and flat-screen TVs. (Actually, we don’t have a flat-screen TV and our iPods are second generation clunkers, though they work reasonably well.)

I read this WSJ article, The Do-It-Yourself Tax Cut, with interest. Here the writer suggests numerous ways you can save money with lifestyle changes. I got to be both smug and bummed, since Tom and I do most of the things suggested here and still, as Tom likes to say, we can’t afford our modest lifestyle. At least it’s reassuring that the rest of the country is catching up to us. We don’t feel like have-nots anymore. We feel like everybody else.

Apropos to nothing, we gave stinky Jack a bath in the driveway last night. What a crazy ordeal that was. We tranquilized him (it's gotta be done) and muzzled him and he still went apeshit. He didn’t mind the soap and water as much as the brushing (attempts) of his hairy ass. We finally had to give up on the brushing. He smells a lot better but his hair is a mess. World’s most exhausting canine….

And now, I must whine. Inappropriately. Much as I’m enjoying my adventures in blogging, I admit to being a tad discouraged these days. My readership numbers are stagnant. The freewheeling discussions we enjoyed in MySpace don’t happen here. Many of my frequent commenters have fallen silent, even those who complained about MySpace. Sigh. I still enjoy the exercise but it was more fun when I didn’t feel like I was talking to three people.

The most successful blogs in the blogosphere focus on one topic and I’m considering that—although I haven’t yet decided what that topic should be. Writing? Jack? Money or lack thereof?

4 comments:

Karen Harrington said...

I understand. I'm one of your lazy readers, now. It was simpler to scroll through all my blog subscriptions and read them together. I still read your blogs here, but sometimes, when Google is wiggy or my hubby is logged in under his name...I don't leave comments. Bad friend! Bad friend! I know. :)

Sophie said...

I'm not pushing for confessions, I'm just trying to figure out how to make this more fun for all.
I have become a much more effective procrastinator since I got Google Reader, which puts all my blogs into one place. (Except MySpace blogs, although I haven't tried that yet since I have to go there to send out notifications anyway.)

Anonymous said...

I really liked the poverty article you posted. I've actually felt embarrassed about not having an ipod, flat-screen TV, digital cable or better furniture than I do... even though in reality, while my accodations are pretty modest I'm getting by just fine, I have more than I need. The guy with the heart-holding teddy bear I blogged about is from the US, but his parents and family are originally from East Africa (Kenya). So I can pretty much never complain about not having something.

Sophie said...

I go back and forth about being proud of my antique iPod (early adopter!) and being embarrassed (old lady with old iPod). I am proud of my jalopy, though, as long as it keeps running. Yeah, it's a 14-year-old Honda. I haven't had a car payment in a decade. What are you coughing up for that nasty Hummer?