Wednesday, April 9, 2008

wandering wednesday

Here comes high-maintenance season, and I don’t just mean yard work. (Though we did finally clear the leaves from the yard and the Garden Bed of Death is showing encouraging signs of life.

But more than that, the months of shaggy legs and toes au naturel are waning. Body parts must be toned and exfoliated, pits must be pristine. It was warm enough for shorts or a summer skirt this weekend but my legs were in no shape to expose and so I sweated it out in jeans.

A young woman in one of my yoga classes is toned and fit and hairy-legged as a little boy. I envy her insouciance. I can’t do that and never could—the stereotype of the hairy feminist is just bigotry. Most feminists I know are as vigilant about body hair as any beauty queen.

So, it’s time to get out the wax and start ripping hair out by its roots. It’s a dreary, not to mention painful, and unending chore. Shaving is no better because it must be done more often.

And time to start booking pedicures, which are pleasant but ultimately pricey, by the end of our long spring and summer.

But a gal’s gotta do what a gal’s gotta do.

I read in the paper this morning that the London Tech Music School named Smoke on the Water the greatest guitar riff of all time. So naturally, that’s been on a maddening tape loop in my head all morning. Maybe I can exorcise it by passing it on to you.

This recipe for garlicky garbanzo burgers sounds yummy to me. The DMN Taste section consistently has great recipes, I plan to try this one soon.

I like today’s Dilbert. (April 9, if you’re coming to this blog another day.) Hostility is fun!


I got blogrolled by Poopouri and it’s getting a lot of clicks. I’m sure people are disappointed when they get there to find me just mocking rather than reviewing. But evidently, a lot of people are worried about bathroom odors. Maybe I could ask for a review sample …

I always mean to link to my articles when they run but don’t always remember. So, here’s one about ADD that ran in December.

And another about Earthwatch that ran in October, I think.

Black and Blue has two more gigs booked at the AllGood—May 3 and May 23. Mark your calendars and come have fun!

No comments: