Thursday, April 10, 2008

chick stuff

Chick flicks and chick lit are under discussion these days. In a review by Jane Smiley of Jennifer Weiner’s Certain Girls, Smiley bemoans the pinkness of the cover, which relegates the book to the girl ghetto. Actually, she laments Weiner’s evident decision to aim for the chick lit shelves.

Smiley writes:

In her latest novel, she seems boxed in by her chosen genre, and it's a shame, because she's got the intelligence and the ambition to address larger questions than the psychological ups and downs of her nice Jewish characters. For whatever reason, though, she doesn't dare.


Meanwhile, Hollywood is trying to figure out what the Next Big Thing in chick flicks will be, now that Meg Ryan is getting long in the tooth. (OK, Hollywood didn’t say that, I did. But to me, Meg Ryan epitomizes the last round of chick flicks. She’s just so cute and inoffensive.)

My first question: Why is chick lit considered a ghetto while guy lit is considered the real deal? Why should the psychological ups and downs of Martin Amis’ characters be more respected than Weiner’s?

For that matter, why wasn’t Wally Lamb’s massive bestseller, She’s Come Undone given a pink cover? I wonder if Henry James was considered chick lit in his day, since his stories are all about intimate relationships? What about Jane Austen? Is Anne Tyler chick lit?

I have similar questions about chick flicks. I love the entire Bette Davis canon—are those chick flicks? What about Gone With the Wind? (Movie and book, actually.) If a book or movie has staying power, does that move it out of the ghetto into the good neighborhood?

I guess what is considered hardcore chick lit today is written to a formula that includes lots of shopping, brand name-dropping, cocktails and looooove. And chick flicks basically are boy+girl= happily ever after, eventually. Unless they’re a about somebody dying. (Beaches—which I’ve seen and didn’t care about.)

I don’t read a ton of hardcore chick lit, but I read The Devil Wears Prada and was surprised by how well-written it was. I also enjoyed the movie. Then I read Lauren Weisberger’s second book, Everyone Worth Knowing, and found it to be the exact same story, different career (public relations). Tedious. I read Bridget Jones’ Diary and enjoyed that and the movie, but decided not to read the follow-up for fear it would suck. (I rarely see movie sequels either, for the same reason.)

I am a sucker for a few recent-ish all-out chick flicks. Although I usually find Julia Roberts irritating, I do have a soft spot for Notting Hill. (I suspect my aversion to Julia Roberts has something to do with my loathing for her breakthrough movie, Pretty Woman. No, don’t get me started.) I catch Legally Blonde on TV whenever I come across it. I love the fact that Elle gets the degree and, only incidentally, the good guy.

Most of my favorite chick flicks are moldy olides, though. An Officer and a Gentleman got me through some hard times when I first moved to Texas and things weren’t going well. I saw it several times in one week because I needed escapism so badly. I love Private Benjamin, with Goldie Hawn, in which she is widowed on her wedding night and joins the army. The ending tickles me every time I see it (and it’s been a while—I might have to find it for fun). I also like Rich and Famous, with Candice Bergen and Jacqueline Bisset, which follows a friendship over decades.

I suppose my favorite chick lit and flicks involve women going for something other than the guy. You know, finding a guy is great, but that’s not all there is to us.

14 comments:

Ruth said...

I'd like to get in a vote for one of my favorite books, Terms of Endearment by Larry McMurtry. It has wonderful, full-bodied, dynamic female characters -- especially the lead character, Aurora. If you haven't read it, do. I hate to register the usual complaints about the movie being a poor substitute, but what they did in the film was inexcusable: They gutted Aurora, making her flighty and ineffectual and besotted by Jack Nicholson. In the book, she dominated (and the Nicholson character didn't exist); in the movie, she simpered. I don't care that Shirley MacLaine won an Oscar for the role; somebody -- Aurora herself -- should have sued.

Oh, but you're talking about chick flicks and lit, and I just went off on a tangent, didn't I? Well, I'd like to put in a plug for my all-time favorite weep-athon, as opposed to a chick flick: The Way We Were. Get choked up just thinking about it.

But you're right, Sophie: Sexism is at work here. I'm tired of it.

Sophie said...

No, not a tangent at all. I have avoided the book because the movie did nothing for me, so this is good to know.

I've only seen The Way We Were once, I think. It bears rewatching. I love the song...

Iggy said...

Being the manliest of men I declare my favorite chick flick to be Steel Magnolias, which I boo-hoo over at the end in the most masculine of fashions.
And Bette Davis' films are not "chick flicks" they're "women's pictures."

Sophie said...

Yeah, Bette was no chick.
Might they be "films"? Or do we save that for obtuse foreign fare?

Iggy said...

After consulting the French film magazine for box office pursers, Cashiers Du Cinema, the term "films" should indeed only be used in refering to obtuse foreign fare.

Chelle Cordero said...

Yes, sexism in entertainment is very evident.

My son-in-law recently told me (proudly) that he had every intention of reading my "romance novel" - but then he added he planned to cover the book and tell everyone he was reading his mother-in-law's cookbook!

Sophie said...

I have to confess to feeling sheepish any time I read an Oprah-recommended book--even though I think she has generally really good taste.

Mr. Rid said...

Have you ever seen the camptastic Valley Of The Dolls?

Sophie said...

Not only have I seen Valley of the Dolls--I own it. It might be too camp to fall into the chick flick category, though.

Jenna said...

My usual go-to chick flicks are Out of Africa and the entire Audrey Hepburn DVD catalog. They all go really well with cotes du rhone.

Sophie said...

Do you know, I think the only Hepburn movies I've seen are Breakfast at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady... I see I have an education ahead of me.
Never seen Out of Africa either, come to think of it.

Jenna said...

I would express extreme horror over those gaping holes in your movie-watching life but, since I've never seen The Godfather, I really have no right to say a thing.

Sophie said...

I've never seen ET. And don't care.

Iggy said...

"Ouch"
- E.T.