Thursday, April 24, 2008

get real

I was reading Daily Kos last night, a political blog that is strongly behind Obama, and I got to thinking about all the calls for Hillary to drop out of the race. My own beloved husband has been saying she should, and even I’ve had that thought (though I hate to admit it), what with the campaign fatigue we’re all feeling.

And it suddenly hit me.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Really, let’s think this through…

This campaign is the culmination of Hillary’s life’s work.

It’s a key moment in the history of the United States.

She’s not exactly being steamrolled or Obama would already be the Democratic candidate.

Would YOU quit?

Don’t give me that “for the good of the party” bullshit. How can it be bad for Democrats to have two viable candidates fighting for the privilege of running for president?

And how bad can it be to put Obama thoroughly through his paces before we even think about entrusting him with the country’s most important job? I say let him jump through some hoops, put his feet to the fire, throw all those clichés at him and if he’s still standing at the end, then maybe he’s more ready for the job than I think he is. (Maybe. I think he’s a good guy but at this point in his life and career, I still think he's 75% smoke and mirrors.)

This is a nation of people that won’t even give up SUVs for the good of the Earth, but we’re saying this intelligent, accomplished, ambitious, determined woman should give up the race of her life because we’re tired of hearing about it?

Tell me another joke.

12 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh, is there an election still going on? I wouldn't know. I'm now turning my attention to the West Texas polygamists and why ALL THE MEN I KNOW don't think the authorities should have gone barreling in.
Anyway, it beats sulking about Obama's failure to close the deal.

Unknown said...

Well, Sophie, if you put it that way...

Sophie said...

Isn't that odd, Ruth? The D magazine blog, Frontburner, is all in a lather. I popped in there to defend our state's poor beleaguered caseworkers but didn't want to wade in too deep.

Sophie said...

Yay, Lawrence! You don't have to like Hillary but at least let her finish what she started!

Sophie said...

Speaking of cliches, could I have put any more in this one paragraph?:

And how bad can it be to put Obama thoroughly THROUGH HIS PACES before we even think about entrusting him with the country’s most important job? I say let him JUMP THROUGH SOME HOOPS, PUT HIS FEET TO THE FIRE, throw all those clichés at him and if he’s STILL STANDING at the end, then maybe he’s more ready for the job than I think he is. (Maybe. I think he’s a good guy but at this point in his life and career, I still think he's 75% SMOKE AND MIRRORS.)

Chelle Cordero said...

cliches or not, you certainly are right in what you say - I agree.

Perhaps all the calls for Hillary to quit are from those who want to "save face" becasue they said she couldn't do it and maybe she can prove them wrong?

Sophie said...

Maybe so, Chelle. It's hard to know what anyone would gain. Would Obama always wonder if he would really have beat her? And imagine how it would be for her, wondering for the rest of her life if she quit too soon.

Mr. Rid said...

Unfortunately, you are right about The O-man. He's AT LEAST 75% thick smoke and distorted mirrors. His inexperience and "Change" for the sake of change mantra is too simplistic a solution to the various clusterfucks we are currently engulfed in.

Sophie said...

Big wet kiss, MrRid. Let's do lunch.

Mr. Rid said...

You are ON milady. 'Healthy' or indulgent cuisine? Your call.

Mr. Rid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nerver said...

well said, my friend. well said