Friday, September 5, 2008

politics n flotsam friday

I'll write what I can about last night’s RNC but it’s all so depressing.

One small consolation is that looking at McCain’s 96-year-old mom, I’d say there’s a very good chance that he has a lot of lively years left in him. She looks amazing, and when he introduced her, she fairly leaped out of her seat. So that means if the Republicans do win, McCain might actually live through his term and not saddle us with a lipstick wearing pit bull running the country into the ground.

Not that McCain would make me happy.

It’s going to be a very interesting, very stressful couple of months.

Here’s Gloria Steinem saying things I like about Palin. Too bad it’s Gloria Steinem, since she carries the stench of feminism. A friend who teaches college in the Bible belt told me that when she mentioned feminism in class the other day, a student actually stood up and walked out in a huff. And, she said, that’s not unusual—the only difference is that it’s usually girls who get offended and this time it was a guy.

A feminist speaking out against Palin only makes her more appealing to her voter base.

Ugh.

Let’s change the subject. Here are some links to cheer us up.

Cartoons for the week …

Love this one, especially since it differentiates between blogging and mindless barking. I thought they were the same things.

And this may be the most delightful depiction of marriage ever. I would venture to say that this is just how Tom feels about me and the feeling is mutual. Except he's a manly cupcake. No pink icing on him.

Yoga joke du jour. Have I posted this one already? The New Yorker repeats the cartoons it sends out. I know I’ve seen it already.

Speaking of yoga, I’m way off that program. In fact, maintaining my workout regime has become a major struggle. I have resumed power walking, which I gave up many months ago out of boredom. But now that the weather is marginally cooler than it’s been all summer, I’ve been back out there with my iPod. It’s still boring but it’s something. If I don’t ramp things up very soon, I’m going to start splitting seams. It’s that bad.

And finally, here’s a delicious blog my friend Mary turned me onto, in which an artist takes commissions and critiques from his three-year-old daughter, Tiny Art Director.

If that doesn’t cheer you up, I can’t help you.


Digg my article

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. The Steinem piece is chilling, informative, and inspiring (in exactly that order). Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Put a pen in McCain's hand and he's Bob Dole 12 years ago. Only difference is, you could make a case for Dole being some sort of military hero instead of a carpet bombing, indiscriminate killer of thousands. Anyways, we all know how that election turned out.

Sophie said...

Thank you for keeping the faith, coffee. Please continue to be the voice of genuine hope.