Tuesday, July 22, 2008

when cute crafts go bad

I’m making a stuffed toy for a friend’s little girl.

My friend Jenna sent me the pattern for Huug the Hug Monster and I loved it immediately. I wanted to try something different for the face, though. I decided to wing it and invent something else, take a completely different approach.

And that’s when things went horribly wrong.



The basic shape of this little fella is cute and huggable.







And the little face I embroidered is sweet, isn’t it? Happy, loving and unthreatening.





But put them together and the result, I’m sure you’ll agree, is deeply disturbing.


Jenna says, "It's like an Aztec god is trying to burst out of a statue..." Which is interesting but not huggable.

I'm going to rip that face off and invent a new one. I knew it was too small when I was making it, but I didn't know how creepy it would look. The next one will be stitched directly onto the body.




Digg my article

9 comments:

Iggy said...

Isn't this how the horror movie begins?

Unknown said...

And who might the lucky little recipient of this adorable labor of love be? Hmm? Hmmmm?

mskrit said...

I would really like it as is---it speaks to my inner child. Thaof being from a dysfunctional family.

Lesley @GEEKSOAP said...

This is ridiculously cute! I agree, though, the face and body separate are adorable but together... a bit disturbing. Glad you're enjoying the pattern, and I LOVE (LOOOOVE) to see what others do with it. Simply wonderful! :) Good luck with the new face :D

Anonymous said...

For some reason that creature is making my laugh everytime I look at it... and I don't know why...? Maybe someone made me a hug monster as a baby and I don't remember.

Sophie said...

I'll send you a photo when it's done, Lesley.

You're right, Lara, so don't let her read my blog and see it, OK?

Tom liked the spooky little face, too.

Jenna said...

I thought I was done giggling over this but then I looked at it again and I started again. It's proof that two good things don't always go together -- those Reese's Peanut Butter people lucked out when they made that combo.

So...did you give it a new face yet? I can't wait to see your Hugg Part Deux. And may I add that I'm impressed with how quickly you leapt into Hugg knitting action? I'm still just in the I'd like to make that phase.

mskrit said...

Hey---it edited my comment! It was supposed to say "that's what comes of being from a dysfunctional family". It's making me sound like a moron. I may be neurotic but I ain't dumb.

Ruth said...

I'm pretty sure you're on to an interesting new market, Sophie -- passive-aggressive versions of stuffed animals that will scare kids or undermine their self-esteem. Now all you have to do is come up with an appropriate name for it.