Sunday, July 27, 2008

guys n guitars

Today’s topic: Why are guys with guitars so hot?

The most mild-mannered guys are transformed into sexy things the moment they strap on guitars.

Maybe it’s just me, but judging by the bevy of birthday party girls who were climbing all over Tom at Black & Blue’s gig in Fort Worth Friday night, I think not.

The night started unpromising. By 10:30, there were maybe 15 people in the club, including me and a few friends. But an appreciative crowd grew over the course of the first set and during the break, the girls arrived—a whole flock of ‘em in short-shorts and high heels and glitter everywhere. One wore a tiara. This was good news.

“Those are the girls that are going to dance to Honky-Tonk Women,” I told a friend.

I was right, of course. Honky-Tonk Women was the second song of the second set and that’s when the party really began.

It was, we learned, Kaitlin’s 22nd birthday and she was out in a white sequin tank top, white short-shorts, disco ball earrings and tiara, partying with her posse at the Moon bar. It was a mass of writhing, squealing girls, pressed up to the low stage, wiggling for attention. Kaitlin draped a scarf around Tom’s neck and another girl put a tiara on Steve. The girls would drift off for a minute, to get drinks or take cell phone photos of each other, then return, arms in the air, nipples aimed at the band, shaking their bottoms and shrieking.

This display attracted throngs of beefy frat boys and the dance floor grew increasingly crowded. By Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash, the room was a hallucinogenic bacchanalia of dancing. It was a notably rhythmless orgy but heartfelt and enthusiastic.

I’d pay money for copies of the photos taken at the end of the show of Tom, looking sweaty, pleased and bewildered, flanked by young girls, pressing in and posing. It was a MySpace moment in the making.

After the last shutter clicked, the girls wandered off and the club began clearing out.

“What was that about?” Tom asked.

Guitars, baby. They do something to us.

Electric guitars properly wielded instill authority, power, mystery and blatant sex appeal. It works for women too, but they become sexy in a masculine way.

I am first of all awed by the ability to stand on a stage and sing, play a guitar and interact with an audience. The skill alone is a turn-on. I am attracted to competence.

But guitars on men are like stiletto heels on women: an automatic come-on.

Guitarist wield their instruments differently. Tom is low-slung and solid and wears his guitar at groin level. He wears t-shirts or his sleeves rolled up, flashing forearms. When he solos, he plants himself even more firmly and works his instrument. (So to speak.) His playing is crunchy and assertive.

Black & Blue’s other guitarist, Steve, is tall, slender and androgynous. He wears his guitar high. He moves on the stage less than Tom but his connection with his guitar is palpable and his solos are complex conversations.

Both different, both hot.

My first major real life rock-and-roll crush was on a bass player. Bass is hot. It vibrates. Bass players don’t need center stage but can be a band’s backbone. Joel, Black & Blue’s bassist, mostly hangs back on stage. He hasn’t started working the crowd yet or maybe he’s going for mystery. Drummers have to work hard for attention, tucked way back the way they are. Chuck seems to like it. He works his ass off behind his drums and enjoys watching the dramas in front of him.

Girls who chase bands know that dating a bass player is different from dating, say, a lead singer. (What do you call a lead singer without a girlfriend? Homeless. That’s my favorite musician joke.) The ego needs are different. You have to be prepared to do an awful lot of ego-feeding to run with rock stars. Rhythm guitarists have lesser ego needs than lead guitarists. Drummers have low-maintenance egos but are infamously flaky. (What do you call a guy who hangs around with musicans? A drummer. Another good one.)

Here’s my favorite rock-and-roll wife story. It was our first wedding anniversary and Tom’s band du jour, Tex Edwards and the Swingin’ Cornflake Killers, was playing at Taco Land in San Antonio. (BTW, big Cornflake Killers reunion on Aug. 8 at Reno’s in Deep Ellum.) Before the show, as the many bands that day milled around and set up, MsKrit, Tex’s girlfriend, and I were, as always, sitting off to one side watching the scene and entertaining ourselves with caustic narrative. At one point, the wife of some other musician in some other band stood before us.

“You wives and girlfriends of the band?” she demanded.

We nodded.

“Me too,” the woman replied. “Makes ya mean, don’t it?”

That night went on to be an epic rock-and-roll night to remember.

But I digress...

Skill counts in guitar-lust, of course. The first time I saw Kenny Vaughan, a successful studio player in Nashville, was at a small-ish club where we very fortuitously stumbled into a show of Nashville notables playing together for fun. I knew of Kim Richey, Jim Lauderdale and Mandy Barnett, who were part of the group, but I’d never heard of the geeky-cute gangly guy with dark hair and big plastic glasses.

But when he started playing I got flustered. He didn’t have a lot of guitar god moves and wore his guitar on the high side, which is interesting but less sexually explicit than all that groin-level diddling. But Vaughan’s playing had shades of George Harrison, my childhood guitarist crush. His chords and progressions hit notes in me I blush to speak of. I shook his hand after the show and my knees trembled.

Guys and guitars. It just works.

Digg my article

12 comments:

Iggy said...

So you want to be a rock ’n’ roll star?
Then listen now to what I say
Just get an electric guitar
Then take some time
And learn how to play
...And in a week or two
If you make the charts
The girls’ll tear you apart

Hmm, The Byrds knew of where they spoke.

Unknown said...

My husband is a bass player. One night years ago at Strictly Tabu, I was in the restroom and heard a young cutie tell her friend she was going to take home the bass player that night. Needless to say, she didn't succeed. Lots of laughs!

Cynthia

Sophie said...

That's very funny, Cynthia! I'm sure you didn't mind hearing it.

I don't know that any of the little girls the other night actually wanted any of the grizzled rockers on stage ("I'm old enough to be their mother," Tom said), but I'm glad they enjoyed (and added to) the show.

Now, there was a gig at which a gang of wiggling MILFs took center dance floor. That was a different story.

Unknown said...

A friend of mine who teaches a college course on relationships has her students write down 5 things they look for in a potential mate. For women, "plays guitar" is a very very very common top-five.

Sophie said...

OMG, Lara, that's hilarious. I had no idea!

Chelle Cordero said...

years, no, decades ago Ihad this bf, we'll call him DJ for short - tall and skinny and kind of gawky... but he played a guitar and sang! And once a week he dedicated his rendition of Wild Thing to me at the club he played in. Needless to say, I was the envy of a lot of gals back then.

Yeah, the guitar certainly had its appeal.

Ruth said...

I was about to congratulate you on staying out so late. Then I read about the reaction Tom was getting from the young women in the audience and realized you'd be crazy to go home. Unless you took his guitar with you.

Sophie said...

Oh, you may congratulate me. It was an accomplishment and it took me the rest of the weekend to recover.

I'm not worried about Tom. He says, "Hot chicks are a pain in the ass." Which means I am either not hot or I am a pain in the ass. Either way, it's his way of reassuring me.

Joel the Pole said...

Sophie, great synopsis of our show. I was a little ticked that we did a great version of Midnight Rambler that was ignored by the teeny bopper crowd.

BTW, what's a MILF?

Sophie said...

That was a great song, Joel.

MILF=Mom I'd Like to ....

Mr. Rid said...

Why do you think I still put up with my Scaraoke night?
I've got 20 sumthins clamoring all over me.
Steve wears his axe high so the package is visible.

Sophie said...

HAHAHAHA! I never thought of that, MrRid!