Friday, June 6, 2008

friday flotsam

I was working on this post when I got distracted by a Facebook invitation from someone with whom I went to summer camp, which then triggered a long nostalgic wallow. Camp Sunningdale, I loved you well.

In among the pines
There is a camp we all adore
One that we have loved
And we will love forevermore...


And so on. Sigh.

But I digress.

***

The quote below, from the Publisher's Marketplace newsletter, made me laugh.

NY Magazine's Boris Kachka on authors at the breakfasts and lunches: "Funniest guy we saw? John 'I'm a PC' Hodgman, who at a forum at 8 a.m. Sunday managed to blow every other humorist out of the water. 'I still have a fondness for books,' said the onetime literary agent. 'Many a time I will be antiquing, and I'll say, 'What's that old-timey curio over there? What is that, a candlestick telephone, one of those old pull-chain toilets? Oh no, it's a book. I used to help make those things! I will buy it and use it to decorate my chain of casual family-dining restaurants.'"

***

Coupla funnies for you here and here. I can relate to them both.

***

So I got this gizmo the other day, a Clarisonic. It was invented by the guy who invented the Sonicare toothbrush and it’s essentially the same thing, but for the face.

I love my Clarisonic. Love it. Love. It. My face has never been so clean. Did you know the average woman spends 15 second washing her face? This thing takes a minute. It’s waterproof and rechargeable and I use it with my plain old Cetaphil.

I feel like a kid whose parents gets her to brush her teeth by buying a Little Mermaid toothbrush. My new toy is more fun than washing the old fashioned way and although I always have washed my face every night, I do it more better now.

***

Bad PR du jour

Got an email today.

The subject line: Even MORE exciting NEWS for you!

The message: You are going to be WOWed to put this in your news publication!

The news: I have no idea. It’s in an attachment that I’m not going to open. Much as we could all use a little WOWing, I don’t open unsolicited attachments to keep my computer safe and also as a matter of principal. Everyone should know better. I don’t reward stupidity.

***

I just finished reading my friend Karen Harrington's book, Janeology. Karen is a wonderful writer and this book, tracing the lineage of a mother who murders one of her children, raises compelling questions about nature vs. nurture. Was her act inevitable?

Check out Karen's blog. Wish I'd entered her 10-word story contest, but I was too busy writing haiku comments on Jenna's blog. It's a wonder I have time to spend a whole minute washing my face...

***

I posted a new DVD review on Suit up and Show Up. Show it some love, give it a click. I haven't been doing new DVDs recently because I am giving it all to Tamilee. Hurts so good.

***

I've had an exceedingly social couple of weeks. I look forward to holing up at home with my sewing this weekend. Except for a couple of parties tomorrow night. Would somebody please suggest some cocktail chatter for me? I'm plum out...

Digg my article

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I noticed the pics! I don't recall any drinking and smoking at my summer camps... lol. I just always remember ants. Lots and lots of ants.

Jenna said...

So you sent me swirling off through Facebook to see if my summer camp was there in any form -- and it was. Yesterday I got ripped back through time when I saw the names of Med-o-Larkers a plenty who I hadn't thought of in...a bunch of years. Even my summer-after-summer crush was mentioned in one post. Alas, he did not love me back. (I wonder if he's single now? Just kidding. Mostly. He looked like the lead singer of Modern English -- and was just as hip.)