Wednesday, June 18, 2008

dillard's is silly but neimans is creepy

Here’s our happy multiple mom again, from today’s paper. She’s still silly but the bathing suits in this ad aren’t hideous and I’ve grown accustomed to her face and her easy-care hair.

Turn the page and…. (cue music from Psycho shower scene)


My god! This poor child! Feed her! Get her out of those Devil Shoes! For god’s sake, at least let her grow up a few years before you put her through this. Look at this sweet little girl face.

Yeah, yeah. Fashionistas are rolling their eyes at me—so gauche to complain about skinny underage models. But this photo gives me the willies.

Here, a young Dallas model discusses her bout with eating disorders. I wanted to cry and throw up reading that one casting director for Paris fashion week told her, "You're turning into a woman, and your body is changing. You need to learn to control that."

I know women are supposed to be inspired to shop by imagining they look younger, slimmer and sexier than they are, but this can go too far. Even when fashion photos aren’t quite as disturbing as this one, I’m not dumb enough to imagine I’ll ever look like a 14-year-old dressed as a grown up. I wouldn’t want to, anyway.

I had a similar thought while working out the other day to a Crunch DVD. All those pretty, perky and extremely buff women were supposed to inspire me but that was not the effect they had. I wished for someone I could relate to, someone who was a little bit older, a little bit curvier, a little bit imperfect but fit. I wasn’t discouraged by the sight of all those sexy sixpacks, but with them on the TV screen, my reflection in the mirror was kind of depressing. One reason Richard Simmons workouts are so much fun is because he has people of all sizes Sweatin' to the Oldies. To me, that’s much more inspiring than a chorus line of women who clearly dedicate their lives to their buns and abs. They only makes me feel that what I can do is not enough and never will be.

Digg my article

5 comments:

Joel the Pole said...

Maybe the Crunch DVD is actually geared towards men to watch? Drinking beer and watching exercise shows helps any idle time pass quickly.

Sophie said...

I actually considered recommending in my review of the DVD that women buy it for their menfolk so they can get bikini bodies. But men might work the wrong muscle.

Mr. Rid said...

I like to subscribe to the myth that fashionazis are gay guys who secretly despise women and create them to resemble little boys in drag. Ipecac for all!

Mr. Rid said...

My fave line to use when people ask me how I'm doing
while DJing is "Oh, just sweatin' to the oldies..."

Sophie said...

HaHa, MrRid! Are you wearing itty-bitty shorts while you DJ?