Wednesday, March 12, 2008

what is courage?

Well, now that Mary has declared me funny in print, I will be contrary and write a morose blog instead. If you’re here for the first time looking for funny, then please come back tomorrow or go back to yesterday. There’s nothing for you here.

The topic du jour is suicide.

In the darkest days of my adolescence, I often indulged in the comfort of what the pros call “suicide ideation”—I thought about killing myself. On a pretty regular basis. It seemed like a pretty simple solution to all of it. Maybe I was a miserable teenage girl, maybe I was just a teenage girl. Dunno.

A couple of things people said kept me hanging on.

When I was about 13, Julie, a slightly older and equally melancholy friend, said that she thought the idea of “attempting” suicide was bullshit. “If you want to kill yourself, you don’t fail,” she said. We were on the hot back seat of the 104 bus, rumbling down Broadway. She stared straight ahead into her bleak future as she said it, and I knew she was right. I lived in a 12th floor apartment. If I really wanted to die, nothing stood in my way. Her words embarrassed me, forced me to acknowledge that as much as I found solace in the thought of dying, I clearly was not committed to the concept.

Many years later, I was hanging out in the Stromboli pizzeria on St. Mark’s Place, where my friend Steve worked. Steve was from a small town. “You know why I would never commit suicide?” he asked, leaning on the counter like a bartender. “There was a guy in my town who killed himself. It was terrible and all that, but after a while, everyone forgot. He probably wanted to make some kind of big point, but everyone just moved on.”

Yikes. That’s not an appealing thought, either.

Eventually, I memorized Dorothy Parker’s “Resume” and got on with my life. (Julie lives on, too. I think she’s a doctor or something.)

And as I got on with my life and moved past the bleak terrain of adolescence, I started understanding that the real problem with committing suicide is what it does to the people you leave behind. That is the immorality of suicide.

I’m on the topic because we just had a high-profile murder-suicide here in Dallas--a couple of movers in local politics.

I feel deep sympathy for the family and friends of the couple who decided their troubles were too much to bear. My heart breaks especially for their son, a senior in college, to whom they bade good-bye to in a phone call.

But because I did not know this couple, I feel free to indulge my anger towards them.

Perhaps more will be revealed over time, but according to newspaper reports, the Shaws were evidently driven to despair by life’s “turbulence,” according to a friend—much of it self inflicted. They had run up huge debts and Mrs. Shaw allegedly forged a letter from the Dallas County district attorney to avoid a debt and was facing a criminal trial. Mr. Shaw had prostate cancer, although friends said they thought treatment was working.

Yes, it sounds like they were having a rough time of it--I'm not being facetious when I say that. One of my favorite New Yorker cartoons is a guy standing in an hour glass that has the word "Life" written on it. Instead of grains of sand, bricks fall on this guy's head, one at a time. Bonk, bonk, bonk.

That's life.

Were the tribulations of the Shaws life really rough enough to justify what they just did to their son?

How self-absorbed. How cruel. How unnecessary, selfish, childish and cowardly.

In a way, I almost hope something really terrible in their lives comes to light, something that might somehow in some way justify this action, something that will let their son know that only the most dire circumstances would cause them to visit such a terrible tragedy on him. Debt? Unethical behavior? Hey, you were tough enough to do it, buck up and face the consequences.

When I was suicidal, I thought not committing suicide was cowardly. Now I understand that the reality is the opposite. (Except in the face of mortal illness. I have known people who have chosen suicide over an unavoidable and unbearable physical decline. I understand and respect that.)

I am also annoyed at James Ragland, who tried to be poignant about the Shaws but ended with a poem by Paul Laurence Dunbar about the faces slaves wore to please their masters while inside they were in agony.

Slaves? C’mon. As far as I can tell, the Shaws were slaves only to their own aspirations. There is, of course, tragedy to their story, but they are not victims. They made choices to the very end. The analogy insults Americans’ mutual history.

P.S. This afternoon, a woman threw her two sons off a highway overpass then jumped herself. They all lived.

P.P.S. Required reading for all people contemplating suicide: Tad Friend's New Yorker article, Jumpers, about people who jump from the Golden Gate bridge. Not all of them die. One of my all-time favorite magazine articles.

11 comments:

Chelle Cordero said...

Brilliant!

I agree, suicide is cowardly and certainly does not achieve any great rewards - what it does is leave a few shattered souls and nothing else because, as you said, it's forgotten.

It's not punishment or retribution to make people "pay" for not liking/loving you - if they really didn't like you, then why would they even miss you? And if they really loved you, then boy did you blow it.

Be well, and thanks for telling it like it is.

Sophie said...

((if they really didn't like you, then why would they even miss you? And if they really loved you, then boy did you blow it.)

Well said.

Although when life doesn't seem worth living, suicide seems less retribution than an end to the monumental effort.

For that sort of suicidal thought, I like the aphorism that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It makes sense to me.

Iggy said...

Anyone interested in the Golden Gate bridge and its sad history of being the last stop for lost souls should also look into the 2006 documentery The Bridge. It is a devastating look at the individuals who decided to end their lives on that span over the course of a single year, and the shattering legacy they left behind for their loved ones.

Unknown said...

Not funny - but great essay.

This post should be required reading for every high school student. The media has a way of subtly affirming suicide. Not only does it make me sick, I think that it influences kids. It's often wrapped in some "caring" or self-righteous attitude, and it's so irresponsible.

Sophie said...

In what way does the media do that, Mary/Alec? I never thought about that.

Perplexio said...

I think the reason why so many adolescents contemplate suicide is that during adolescence all human experiences are turned up to "11." The highs are higher and the lows are lower. For some adolescence is a particularly cruel and unhappy time and I believe in part that people who have a more difficult time of things when going through puberty just come to feel "If I can't even get high school right, what chances do I have in the real world?" But honestly, for most adolescents I believe the thoughts of suicide are biochemical in nature.

Never in a person's life are their hormones more "out of whack" than in adolescence and that does have an effect on human emotion-- it's the reason why all experiences and emotions seem so amplified at that age.

Anonymous said...

My heart always sinks whenever I hear about a teen committing suicide. It just seems like such a waste... Emotions run so extreme in those years.

I have a close friend from California who's girlfriend jumped off the Golden Gate in the fall of 2006. I didn't know the girlfriend that well personally, but it's hard to look at the bridge and not think about that. My friend has difficulty even going there at all.

Sophie said...

You may just be right, Perplexia. Everything is definitely an 11. Although we did try to fight my blues with chemicals way back when (I was in the clinical trials for the first antidepressant) and it didn't seem to work. Maybe I had the placebo...

Sophie said...

My friend Therese asked me to post this here:

can't seme to comment on your blog, but i felt a great need to comment and i guess this is the only place i can. i would like very much for you to share this with 'the class', if you would?

i beg to differ. while some suicides are the result of a sort of selfishness- perhaps even some form of narcissism, most are the result of being truly lost. seeing no way out. i doubt many suicides are "looking to achieve great rewards" of any kind.

i also disagree that the act, nor the person, will necessarily be forgotten. that does not glorify the act, merely honors the person's life before they became so terribly desperate.

i also believe that medications (taken as prescribed, misused and otherwise) put people's chemical balance so out of whack as to render them incapable of discerning 'reality' from their current 'actuality'.

trust me- i know from whence i speak. i have lost two friends to suicide- one many years ago- one in november. her name is debra mc clinton. if you want to see a vibrant woman, full of love and life- this is the only place you can go now:

http://debramcclinton.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-miss-debra-mcclinton_29.html

she was the furthest thing from selfish and a gift to all who were lucky enough to know her.

so please- let's not rush to judgement. she was in excruciating pain. she left behind a beautiful five year old and her father and countless friends. can you IMAGINE how much pain that would take? i don't think you can. i know i tried my best and came up short. please be kind. the alternative doesn't help anyone.

Sophie said...

I totally understand what you say, Therese. I don't know if my brother chose to kill himself or just made a mistake. I will never know. And in a way, I think Oliver's pain (and drug addiction and mental illness) and likely the pain of your friend (my deep sympathy to you) is as much--or at least feels as much--as a death sentence as any other terminal diagnosis.

I suppose there are as many different reasons for suicide as there are people who do it. And I suppose there are suicides that are a result of the painful prison your friends were in and suicides that appear to be as much about the message as the pain.

And I guess there are suicides of passion. I've never ever ever wanted a gun in the house because it's way too easy to get too sad. The murder-suicide here in Dallas seems like a crime of passion, to me. And by passion, I mean drama of any kind.

I do think people forget. Loved ones don't--never. Suicide leaves a scar forever, which is why I'm angry about what this couple did to their son.

I think of Oliver all the time. I can still hear his voice. But after the world spins a while, the circle of people who care, who knew Oliver, gets smaller and smaller. He becomes a sort of wisp of a thought.

It is a HUGE deal to me that Tom met Oliver. It matters because that helps Oliver remain alive in my life. But for many people who know me today, Oliver is just a name and an abstract connection. The world forgets.

Sophie said...

P.S. Debra looks like someone I would have really liked.