Tuesday, March 25, 2008

my generation


I watched the movie Hair on AMC the other night. Some of you know that Hair holds a very special place in my heart. I was a stage door groupie for the Broadway show and even auditioned for it when I was, like, 12 years old. Yeah, really. No, I didn’t get a part.

Anyway, the movie wasn’t great and I haven’t seen it since it came out in 1979, but I was thrilled to see it listed the other night, when I was planning a solo late-night couch party. It was great fun.

Hair depicts the seismic societal changes of the late ‘60s but what the movie brought most strongly to my mind is the very distinct experience of growing up in the 1970s, when I went to see the show over and over, longing for the jubilance of the life of those who came just before me.

My cohort comprises the tail end of the baby boom (I was born in ’58, the boom is generally accepted as ’46-’64). Mine is one of those in-between generations, stuck in a muddy trench between the revolutionary idealism of the ‘60s and the brittle excess of the ‘80s. The 1970s were a dark time, when the drugs really kicked in and the pristine visions of the flower children started looking like snow in New York City, day two—gray with yellow spots and pocked with garbage. Maybe free sex and prodigious drugs weren't such a great idea after all. This was the decade when we figured that out.

A teenager through Watergate, I was acutely aware of it without entirely comprehending what was happening. I just breathed the sour air of corruption, mistrust and anger surrounding it. I didn’t know anyone who went to Vietnam (oddly, now that I think about it) but it flickers on the TV screens of my memories of those days. The nation was hit by inflation and the oil crisis and New York City was deep in the economic crapper.

Drugs and sex were seeping ever more deeply into popular culture but the sex was a lot less jubilant than it seems today. Nobody was used to sexual freedom yet and it all seemed a little bit tawdry--sex clubs and poppers and leather bars. I was too young to be a part of all that but I knew what was going on. (The famous sex club Plato’s Retreat was not very far from my home. Once, a man standing outside asked me if I would go in with him, no strings attached, because single men were not allowed in. I declined.)

Wedged between the nuclear family ‘50s and the loud reinvention of parenting that began in the ‘80s, many of my generation were untethered from their parents. I roamed New York freely, riding graffiti-covered subway cars; getting high with friends in the park, in friends' apartments while their parents were at work, in the staircases of apartment buildings if no place better could be found. I pretended to go to school in the morning but instead met a friend on a patch of grass near the West Side Highway, where we waited until our parents went to work so we could go back home.

That was the '70s NYC-style but I recognize the same style of sad and surly independence in the suburban teen lives depicted in the movie and book The Ice Storm. Tom, who was born in 1960, sees his Texas adolescence in Dazed and Confused—funnier by miles than the Ice Storm (which is devoid of humor) but not exactly depicting a generation on the fast track.

In some ways, the 1970s gave me a dark world view and chopped, diced and spliced my values into a strange amalgam of idealism and cynicism.

I don’t mistrust the government as deeply as some (perhaps the fact that Watergate was uncovered and punished inoculated me against total cynicism) but I believe it bears close watching and that voting is among our most significant responsibilities. I also believe that if newspapers go under, the great loss to society will be unbiased investigative reporting.

I think the era affected how I view sex and drugs. I’ve seen lots of casualties of drugs and so have less of a moral objection to them than a pragmatic one because they do some bad shit. I avoided the harder drugs many of my peers did. I never tripped, but I did do cocaine for a while. I don’t anymore because it killed my brother and I hold a grudge.

Coming of age while culture was in flux perhaps made me more broad minded, more flexible in my rules of morality (for better or worse), than those who came before or after. In general, I am forgiving of our darkest nature, tolerant of transgressions and raw in my assessment of human nature. I don’t think humans are bad. I just think we’re all a little fucked up. And that’s OK.

And, by the way, I miss the ‘70s desperately. Those are my good old days.

4 comments:

Chelle Cordero said...

Thanks for the nostalgic look back - the 70's for me was a period of contradictions.

I didn't do drugs (real goody-2-shoes as my friends called me), but definitely found sexual liberation, activism, rebellion and creative expression (that is when I first began writing for publication). I also did community service and got along with my parents fabulously (but that is just who they were).

I think the 70's really formed a lot of who I am today.

Sophie said...

I wasn't even thinking about getting along vs. not getting along or doing drugs vs. not doing drugs ... it's more like it was all swirling around us and we developed broad views about what it meant. (You didn't do drugs but you hung around people who did.)
I didn't do community service although I was politically active--probably as much to meet boys as anything else. Among other things, I stood on street corners and collected signature on a petition to stop the clubbing of baby seals.

Perplexio said...

Speaking of Watergate, I just finished a book on the Nixon/Agnew "political marriage." The news of the Watergate Scandal broke at about the same time as the news of Agnew's bribery/Income Tax evasion scandal. Nixon had lost all faith in Agnew at that point. After firing Haldeman and Ehrlichmann, Nixon wanted to resign but Agnew was still VP and he didn't want to leave the country in Agnew's hands. He basically hung Agnew out to dry so he could appoint a new VP that he would find to be a more suitable replacement than Agnew. His first choice was former Texas governor John Connally, but he was convinced by his aides (I believe by Alexander Haig in particular) that the Democrats in Congress would put up a fight over Connally (because it was a poorly kept secret at that point that Connally wanted to switch parties, and Connally backed Nixon over McGovern in 72 so he'd made some enemies). Haig convinced Nixon to go with Ford instead as he was far less controversial than Connally would have been and the confirmation of Ford's appointment would be far smoother and swifter than it would have been with Connally.

Iggy said...

Excellent overview of the decade we came of age in and lost our innocence in, Ms. D. Kudos to your thoughtfulness and reflection.