Monday, March 10, 2008

invisible, shminvisible

I would like to write all sorts of interesting things for you today but computer-related limitations interfere, so I will be brief and point you elsewhere for your day's reading--specifically to this Newsweek essay by Tina Brown about Boomer women and Hillary. (I know, Ruth. Not all Boomer women. No guilt trip implied here.)

Brown writes: Much has been written about how boomer women have rallied to Hillary's cause (she won an impressive 67 percent of the white women voting in Ohio; they were 44 percent of the total). It's fashionable to write off this core element of her base as rabid paleo-feminists fighting the tired old gender wars of the past....

It's a revolt that has been overdue for a while and has now found its focus in Clinton's candidacy. In 1952, Ralph Ellison's revelatory novel, "Invisible Man," nailed the experience of being black in America. In the relentless youth culture of the early 21st century, if you are 50 and female, the novel that's being written on your forehead every day is "Invisible Woman." All over the country there are vigorous, independent, self-liberated boomer women—women who possess all the management skills that come from raising families while holding down demanding jobs, women who have experience, enterprise and, among the empty nesters, a little financial independence, yet still find themselves steadfastly dissed and ignored. Advertisers don't want them. TV networks dump their older anchorwomen off the air. Hollywood studios refuse to write parts for them. Employers make it clear they'd prefer a "fresh (cheaper) face."


Yup. And a lot of us are getting surly about it.

4 comments:

Chelle Cordero said...

okay, okay, I have forced myself to log in so I can leave a comment on this blog rather than MySpace - WHERE EVER your words appear, I do go to read them, it has actually become a part of my normal work day.

Well just wanted to stand up and be counted, me and my less than fresh face (certainly not cheap).

-Chelle/Rikki

Sophie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sophie said...

You are a goddess among readers Chelle/Rikki, author of the forthcoming romance novel Bartlett's Rule.

Ruth said...

Only my mother or my children make me feel guilty. Nice try, Sophie (and Hillary and Tina), but no dice. -- Ruth