Wednesday, March 5, 2008

mad as hell

I got into a squabble yesterday with a friend who is in her early 30s. At one point, she told me I was “showing my age.” She meant it as an insult and I took it as such (and the situation degenerated from there) but I’m rethinking both her attack and my response.

The accusation as intended is a double-insult because it not only says I’m old, but also that my age is a bad thing. And admittedly, by taking it as an insult, I was perpetuating for myself the stigma.

I’m finally ready to push back.

Don’t underestimate the middle-aged broads. We are the insurgents.

I’m reminded of a Mediabistro party I attended a couple of years ago, shortly after the Dallas Morning News had massive layoffs. After frat-boy-about-town Tim Rogers made an unprovoked, unnecessary and obnoxious crack about my age, I wandered away from his exalted hipitude to be with my own, a group of pissed-off middle-aged broads (including several who had just lost their jobs) sitting at a table quietly plotting to blow shit up. We laughed and griped and laughed and plotted. No, we haven’t exactly blown anything up but we sure weren’t having a quilting bee.

Mediabistro parties, which occur in cities across the country, are infamous for their youth orientation. I’ve been to two in Dallas and felt marginalized at one and insulted (as described) at the other. When I was in New York once, I tried to get a colleague to attend one of the parties there and she declined, having had the same experience. I decided to stop attending Mediabistro parties.

But now I’m just pissed. Showing my age? Yeah, maybe I am—and it’s a competent, powerful and, once one comes to terms with the number, increasingly self-assured age. I've heard that as women age, they tap more into their masculine qualities and with men it's the opposite. Know what that means? We have a lot of personal resources to draw on. Power, baby.

Just because we’re not loud doesn’t mean we don’t have anything to say. I’ll go to the next Mediabistro party. Don’t want to bother with antiques like me? Fuck you and all your little friends. And let me know when you figure out how you’re going to stop your own aging process.

Don’t count us out, kids. Maybe we didn’t want to cram into crowded arenas and swoon for our candidate, but when it’s time to vote and caucus, we show up. And no, I don’t suggest all women my age voted for Hillary. But a lot of my friends did and I think we surprised you, yes?

5 comments:

Karen Harrington said...

Here's my intelligent response.

Yeah!

Nuff said.

Sophie said...

'Nuff indeed! Yeah! Sez us!

Ruth said...

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I do believe Texas has a great tradition of smart, smart-ass, funny-as-hell older women like Ann Richards and Molly Ivins. What kind of schmuck would dare patronize them? All right, so they're dead and may they rest in peace. That means it's our turn to get older and louder and scarier. One benefit of aging is that you give less of a damn what anybody thinks of you, anyway.

Sophie said...

I'm working on it, Ruth, I'm working on it. Yesterday's epiphany is a great leap forward to me.

Anonymous said...

Stating that your age was the reason you supported your candidate (that was the implication I got from the post, anyway) actually shows THEIR age - really immature thing to say, not to mention blatantly untrue for both liberals and conservatives.

((Maybe off-topic a little, I do get really irritated with the way the media groups everyone into categories based on race/age/gender as far as who supporting which candidate.))