Sunday, August 10, 2008

sunday paper wtfs

My horoscope today suggests a family gathering because my “clan is busting with enthusiasm.” And the stars advise me to “set up the badminton net.”

First of all, my clan is rarely busting with enthusiasm. They also live far away. And we don’t own a badminton net—just a croquet set we never use. I’m beginning to suspect the stars don’t know what they’re talking about.

***

You may have seen this story in your own morning paper, if you read a morning paper, which you probably don’t, which explains the state of newspapers in the U.S. today. It’s all about this lady who had her pit bull cloned in South Korea, which got a lot of news coverage. As a result, she was recognized as having skipped bail after kidnapping a Mormon missionary 31 years ago and handcuffing him to a bed and using him as a sex slave.

At the time, she told a judge, “I loved him so much that I would ski naked down Mount Everest in the nude with a carnation up my nose if he asked me to.”

***

Here’s a column about the day the moving sidewalks weren’t working at Love Field. Thank goodness for rolling suitcases! This writer managed to squeeze 618 words out on the topic, which is impressive in its own way, I suppose. On the other hand—WTF? You get what you pay for, I guess. She’s a “volunteer columnist.”

***

Finally … not only does the hat look silly, but it’s going to be 104 degrees in Dallas today. Just looking at this picture makes my head itch.

Digg my article

2 comments:

Iggy said...

Of all the things I can picture you doing in this life, croquet would be the last...No, actually it wouldn't even chart. It's too genteel a pastime.

As for the woman and the Mormon, such enthusiasm is rarely seen in courtship nowadays.

Mr. Rid said...

Today's DMN was positively skeletal. I remember it taking around 2 hours to pour and skim over the damned thing. Oh well, more time to read something else with actual content. The crazed clone rapist was the only scoop of note. Wotta gal!