Wednesday, August 20, 2008

more on marriage

First of all, I have a zit. A real, bona-fide, pubescent-style zit. Right in the middle of my cheek. That’s not fair. I can’t be middle-aged and have a zit. Where is the justice in that?

So, my online goofing off has given me further fodder for contemplating marriage. Here’s an article about a new book called "The Marriage Benefit: The Surprising Rewards of Staying Together" by Mark O’Connell, a marriage therapist and clinical instructor at the Harvard Medical School.

O’Connell doesn’t argue that all marriages are worth saving, but his focus is on the benefits of long-term intimacy. I like this excerpt:

He explained that scientists have discovered that the first 18 months of any romance effectively are ruled by body chemicals such as dopamine and oxytocin. "We think everything that follows is a compromise."


Lordy, ain’t that the truth.

And:

What O'Connell and marriage therapists hear a lot is that one or both spouses in a marriage feel bored or that they know everything about the other.

"The underlying assumption is we know each other so well," said O'Connell. "That's baloney. We are endlessly complex and always changing. Once romance wears off, we tend to block the complicated places within ourselves, those places where we are most scared. In that way, boredom is sort of dynamic self-protection."


In other words, as I understand it, sometimes it's fear of knowing ourselves and facing our own shortcomings and bogeyman that cause us to turn on our spouses.

More interesting than the article is this radio interview with O’Connell. I find the show host annoying but it’s worth a listen.

One fascinating point O’Connell makes is that marriage (and by that he means long-term monogamous relationships—the callers kvetching about marriage as a legal arrangement are missing the point) make us less narcissistic. In a way, I think, even more so than children which may require people to step outside their own needs but which are an extension of ourselves. (And by “our’ I mean “your.”) Marriage requires us to voluntarily support the well-being of another person without the biological imperative of parenthood.

He also speaks about the terror we all fear when we really do love someone, when we reach the point where we would be devastated if we lost that person, which we inevitably will, one way or another. As I understand it, he believes fear of vulnerability may be behind some resistance to marriage. When we love that deeply, we may someday hurt more. And that's scary shit.

Digg my article

7 comments:

Iggy said...

Love ain't for sissies, darlin'

Karen Harrington said...

Now that's a first sentence worthy of an interesting novel!

Ruth said...

Sophie -- Does this mean that if you weren't married, you would have written more about your zit?

Sophie said...

I could certainly write about zits if you like. I don't get them like I used to, but I had horrible skin as a teenager. Ugh. Ever get the dry ice treatment?

Karen Harrington said...

Well, the first sentence just endears me to a character who would start off by admitting she had one. :) If you can tie that idea in with marriage, I tip my jar of Noxema to you.

Sophie said...

He loves me despite my zit?
No, it was just a random non sequitur. (Is that redundant?)

Anonymous said...

The only reason my skin is no longer horrendous is because I take a prescription that helps it... but I still get those nasty teenager zits regularly... and high school was ten years ago. I'm actually thankful it's only 1 or 2 at a time now. Maybe by 30 it will go away? 40?

That sounds like a really interesting book, I'd like to check that out for sure.