Saturday, May 31, 2008

no thanks

Although I like both sex and the city, I don’t really get the whole cult status of Sex and the City. I used to watch it in reruns sometimes, BC (Before Cable) but found it more irritating than entertaining.

I was particularly annoyed to read a quote from a 45-year-old woman in today’s paper saying, “They were the first really powerful women” on television.

Wow. Can we define power here? Yeah, have good jobs, although except attorney Miranda, they all were in pink-collar jobs. (And, by the way, could Carrie really afford all those clothes on a columnist’s salary? She must work at the same place the friends of Friends worked to pay for all those nice apartments.)

But what they did most was talk about men, think about men, fret about men, sleep with men, pine for men, break up with men … I know sex is in the title, but where is the power in all that? Considering that the theme of the show seems to be we don’t need no stinkin’ men, we have each other! they sure seem boy crazy. Bo-ring.

And let’s talk about powerful women on TV. While she’s at the front of my mind--what with the death of Harvey Korman-—how about Carol Burnett? She was powerful as a professional and she was completely in control of her comedy. Maude was a powerful female character. The golden girls of The Golden Girls had a lot more on their minds than men, even though they were out there dating and getting laid plenty. I know that because the show has become one of my late night guilty pleasures. Believe it or not (I know you don’t) it’s funny.

Mary Richards was virginal, but she was out there makin’ it on her own. Actually, the girls of SATC are more like Rhoda, who was supposed to be the boy-crazy loser on the MTM show. Hot Lips Hoolihan wasn’t above a little extramarital hoohoo, but she was nothing if not strong like ox and she had lots more on her mind than shoes and penis.

Yeah, SATS brought a baby into the mix, and breast cancer. But in the shows I saw, all the other characters were self-congratulating when they tore themselves away from their sexual needs to pay attention to the enormous life challenges their dear, dear friends faced. Such sacrifice!

First strong women on television? I don’t see the characters of SATS as strong at all. I see them as needy, demanding and annoying. They might have been the first to talk openly about sex, but they also had the benefit of cable. The Golden Girls was pretty good at innuendo, working within network broadcasting codes.

Are the women who admire this gang of whiners as strong women to emulate the same ones who think a Hillary nutcracker is funny?

OK, I’ll give the show one thing: The catch phrase “He’s just not that into you” is incredibly useful and applies in various contexts. But even Dr. Phil has contributed to our society with “How’s that workin’ for you?” which is equally useful although he is equally annoying.

I won’t be getting a gang of gal pals together to partake in this particular pop culture nonevent. I’m just not that into them.

Digg my article

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A 45 year old said that? Really?

I watch it sometimes and find it entertaining when I have, but I never really thought of it as being very realistic or empowering in any way. Just a freakin' TV show.

I watch "Golden Girls" at the gym sometimes. When no one is behind me and can see my TV. (lol).

Unknown said...

Hated that show. HATED IT HATED IT HATED IT.
It was so completely, doggedly steeped in a kind of conventional thinking that it made me nuts. Maybe not the conventional thinking of heartland America, but an equally small-minded and ham-fisted sort of conventional thinking.

In the few episodes I watched, it didn't take long to see that the show's viewpoint is that women should have sex, lots of sex, as much sex as they want in as many varieties as they can. If anybody tried to suggest otherwise, or get in their way, righteous indignation ensued. And as long as all that sex involved consenting adults - anything goes.

However, in the one episode I saw, one of the SATC girls (can't remember the character's name) wasn't comfortable taking her clothes off in the lockerroom in front of other women. Now THAT was clearly some sort of sexual hang-up - practically a perversion - and the other three women felt entirely entitled to lecture her piously about this "issue."

So - anything goes, except modesty. What about the idea that women are allowed to have control over their own bodies? Personally, it doesn't bother me to change in a ladies' lockerroom, but if that feels like oversharing to someone else, there's nothing dysfunctional about that.

And I say all this as a single gal who Sophie has accused of being "boy-crazy." So, no, I'm not repressed, just annoyed, same as Sophie.

I predict this show will be a total period piece in about 10 years. People will watch it (in late night reruns) and say, "Wow, SATC was so turn-of-the-century."

Chelle Cordero said...

Ok, I admit, I wasn't crazy about SATC on cable and haven't even bothered to watch reruns on regular TV. I only watched when someone else turned it on and I happened to be in the room - and then it was only if I wasn't totally preoccupied in something better like a good book or watching the cat chase a moth.

I will probably watch it at some point when it comes to cable, but I have better things to do with my nine-bucks then sit in a movie house to see it.

Sophie said...

I was out tonight with a couple of women I'm only getting to know and they invited me to go see the movie with them. How awkward...

Sophie said...

Golden Girls is kinda funny, right Kristen?

Iggy said...

I think at this point in your life you should like what you like and to hell with everybody else.
I bliss out to The Joy Of Painting With Bob Ross every Tuesday and Thursday night at 10 P.M. Wanna make something out of it?

Sophie said...

Well, yeah! The Joy of Painting is like doing heavy drugs!

Iggy said...

No kidding. All I have to do is hear Bob's FM voice and the scraping of that palette knife on that wet canvas and it's "Picture yourself in a boat on a river / With tangerine trees and marmalade skies."

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you said that about SATC. Sometimes one can think she's the only one. IMHO, Edith Bunker was a strong woman. Strong enough to put up with Archie, see through the bad to the good, and fight back when she needed to. I just loved her!

Glad your site's back up. I couldn't get in last week.

Cynthia

Sophie said...

I thought about Edith too but forgot to mention her. Also Marge Simpson.