Tuesday, May 27, 2008

me me me

We spent my birthday at the wonderful Wildcatter Ranch in Graham Texas. I’ve written about this place in the past and will pass along that article in a separate post because if you live in North Texas then this is a place you want to get away to. To which you want to get away. Currently it has just 12 rooms but a new hotel with more rooms is under construction, which is kind of a pity but a ranch has gotta do what a ranch has gotta do.

My friend Diana and her exceedingly smart and handsome boys, Francisco and Eamon, came down for the festivities. Helen and John from Austin dropped by for lunch on Sunday. Nancy and Sarah and Jenny and Mary and Chuck and Michelle helped me usher in the new decade. And my Tommy, of course.

Mostly what we did was hang out by the beautiful pool, which has a long view of rolling hills. Hawks make lazy circles in the sky. The scent of sage perfumes the air. And other applicable cliches.



Beer and wine and champagne were liberally imbibed. My new summer drink is the Miller Chill. I don’t care for beer but this limey brew is yum. Enormous meals were eaten. Much laughter occurred. I hardly even noticed the aging process, I was so busy having fun. On Saturday night, a huge lightning storm moved through and we sat in rockers on the porch and watched the distant light show. It was one of those forever memories.

For my birthday dinner, I ate most of this frighteningly enormous chicken fried steak.



I’m ashamed but I did it anyway. (The fabulous birthday tiara was from my friend Jenny, who made a party out of my birthday dinner, with poppers and confetti and party favors and a tiara. XOXOX, Jenny!) Then, I somehow managed to eat a slice of Nancy's homemade pecan pie, the best pecan pie EVER.

The weekend was so damn warm and fuzzy I can hardly complain about my age. I mean, if this represents my life so far, what do I have to complain about?

Thanks everyone who came to party and all my dear virtual friends who sent their greetings. It was one helluva birthday. Now, I start counting backwards.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! IT'S ALL ABOUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!


I'll resume regular programming tomorrow.

6 comments:

Chelle Cordero said...

I am so glad that you had a great birthday celebration - it only gets better fron here. Wishing you happiness always.

Iggy said...

"Hold your hats and hallelujah.
Sophia's gonna show it to you."

(Isn't it odd what tiara and a tart tongued lass will make a man paraphrase?)

Sophie said...

I've shown as much as I'm showin', Bub.

Iggy said...

Did I mention tart-tongued?

Anonymous said...

You look so great in your pics! No Dillards for you!

Mmmmm chicken fried steak...

Sophie said...

My homemade dress is still better than than Dillards can do.

It was an exceptional CFS, too. Highly recommended if you happen to be anywhere near Graham, Texas.