Monday, December 1, 2008

midlife musing

So, I hope everyone had a nice holiday and now is time ("‘tis the season," one might even say, if one were annoying) for kvetching about how fat we are. When did this happen? And really, how old do I have to be to just stop caring? May I enter my stretch waistband years now, please?

I got really skinny in 2004-2005. I’m not anymore. My set point just isn’t skinny and that’s just too damn bad. Slender is too much work to maintain. I am upholstered. That’s all there is to it.

I’ve come to appreciate my upholstery but it’s such a slipperly slope to gelatinous, which I can’t embrace. The trick is exercise but goodgawdamighty I’m bored with exercise. I must draw on my every last ounce of willpower to keep any program going at all, and it’s not what it used to be. At least I walk Jack every day. Too bad he has no hustle in his (big, hairy) bustle. Our daily walk is not enough of a workout to keep me in fighting trim. Sometimes I sneak out without him for long fitness walks, but then I have to walk him anyway and that’s a lot of time spent walking.

I’ve been exercising so long, there is little chance that I’ll stop exercising altogether. But are long, frequent workouts how I want to spend my days at this point in my ever-shortening life? And if so, why? Loving my body or clutching at youth?

Well, maybe the desire will return. I’m not old yet.

And what about the grey in my hair? Am I ready to embrace it? Maintenance is getting annoying. I have this one spot…I’m thinking about a grey streak. Am I ready to embrace my badass midlife self?

Digg my article

7 comments:

Iggy said...

As far as a touch of grey is concerned let Pepe Le Pew be your guide.

Cynthia said...

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't get any better as you get older. One day I decide that for my mental health I should just embrace my body as it is, and the next day I'm counting Weight Watcher points and eating Smart Ones for lunch. Ugh!

Micvick said...

Getting old is apart of life...all we can really do is embrace and tackle it one step at a time. I am in my 30's and evryday I notice a new sun spot, or a new wrinkle on my face. Or better yet...I haven't had time for the gym because I work 60 hrs a week and go to school to better my career. Therefore my body is becoming soft. Ahhh so much and I just try to smile.

Trust me I don't want to continue aging, but there is no way to stop it...So when do you give up? I don't ever, but you should always cut yourself a break.

Great post! Maybe you can check out my blogs...Give me your thoughts. Thanks a million!

http://www.rasmussen.edu/blogs/Micheles-Blog.aspx

Anonymous said...

rage, rage against the dying of the light...

Unknown said...

I have similar thoughts about embracing my badass new mom self. The extra pounds, the stretchy skin, the chronically-un-put-together appearance, the frizzy, half-done hair....Do I care to hit the gym twice as hard or get up extra early to make sure I have time to accessorize? So far, the answer is "hell to the no." But I catch glimpses of myself in mirrors and just shake my head.

Sophie said...

But why rage, rage against the inevitable?

I haven't given up but oy vey, what a pain in the ass maintenance is getting to be.

Anonymous said...

I refuse to surrender! Did I mention I've changed all my light bulbs to soft yellow 40 watts?