Thursday, November 20, 2008

primitive writing tools

Here is the very first article I ever wrote for the Dallas Morning News, circa 1985. It was written for the long-gone Dallas Life magazine, the newspaper's Sunday magazine. I wrote it on a used electric typewriter I found in the classified ads (a primitive concept in itself) and bought for $100.

The first draft, with my editors' comments in non-repro blue pencil, is typed on low quality onion skin paper. My editing own marks are in blue pen.

The full article appears to be a photocopy of that original without the mark-up.

You should be able to enlarge these images by clicking on them, should you be so inclined. I wish I could find the published version but it's buried deep in the garage somewhere.

Not bad for a first time out, IMO. (A moment to remember the late Tom Hynds and his wonderful store). And gotta love my prescient last line: "Looking ahead to 1990: don't throw out that lava lamp."







Digg my article

2 comments:

Joel the Pole said...

Your reminiscing about your past like there's no tomorrow.

Sophie said...

Not that there's anything wrong with that... And with the way things are spiraling these days, maybe there won't be a tomorrow.

Actually, I've had a large number of people from my past turn up recently and I am totally wallowing in nostalgia.