Wednesday, November 19, 2008

another sketchbook

I'm tired of words for the moment so let's do pictures--I've rummaged around in the archives again.

First, another trip to Maine, this time with friends. Does anyone look familiar to anyone? (Too bad about the coffee stains.)








A couple of random pages. That's my Grandma Fanny up in the corner there. The caption on the beach scene says "Labor Day 1981." The boat says "Jones Beach." This is good because it confirms for me once and for all that I moved to Dallas in early 1982. I never could quite remember. Sad, really...


And brother Nick.

Using my imagination.


I have no idea if this one was real or imagined, I just like it.

And finally, I was tickled to find this sketch:

Which became this mailer:

I sent this out when I first moved to Dallas. It got me lots of work, including at The Dallas Morning News, beginning the chain of events that brought me where I am today.

Tomorrow, I think I'll scan and post my very first story for the newspaper, which I also just found. I wrote it on a used electric typewriter I bought for $100 when I decided to be a writer in my spare time. I'm so old.

Digg my article

8 comments:

Iggy said...

Love the anthropomorphic lioness. You should color it.

Sophie said...

I went through a monster-drawing stage.

Iggy said...

Your drawing probably inspired the remake of Cat People by Paul Schrader.

Anonymous said...

What year was that? Didn't we go twice?

Sophie said...

Did we go twice? That I don't remember. This was 1981, my last summer on the East Coast.

Anonymous said...

These sketches are from 1981? Is that Barbara? Did I sign a release?

Sophie said...

That is Barbara and I don't need no stinkin' release.

Anonymous said...

I look so young, even in pencil.