Friday, October 3, 2008

back into the archives



Hey look! My first feet photo was not a photo at all. My toenails are like Monet's water lilies--I never tire of their many moods. I made this sketch on my first and only visit (so far) to Washington D.C., in 1976.

My best friend Susan and I went to celebrate our HS graduation. (Our nation's Bicentennial. We have the Bicentennial yearbook to prove it and a tassel with a little Liberty Bell on it.) We stayed in the Howard Johnson's where Nixon's henchmen listened to bugged conversations from the DNC offices across the street, at the Watergate. Too bad I didn't sketch the view of the room beyond my own feet. But drawing feet is hard enough. I probably exhausted myself on that.



Here is Susan lolling in the room.

I've never been good at sketching landscapes but at least I tried.





I preferred sketching the people. These aren't great but at least I was in there swinging. Haven't done it in years and I'm afraid to try 'cause I know I've lost it.





And there you go, today's Lazy Gal post.

Digg my article

7 comments:

mskrit said...

Excellent sense of gesture and motion. I'm sure you still have it in you. Maybe you should try drawing Jack---he won't laugh if your first few attempts are a little awkward. Well, maybe he'll snicker a little and shake his head, but hopefully he'll be subtle about it.

Iggy said...

Well,you could certainly give Leroy Neiman a run for his money.

Anonymous said...

Lost it? I've never had it. I love your sketches. The professional illustrator I fell in love with and married, hasn't drawn anything in years. I wonder if she feels she's lost it. I'm afraid to ask.

Sophie said...

I'll betcha anything Mary is nervous about putting pencil to paper again. I am determined to get brave and try again. Soon. (Ask me how long I've been saying that...)

Anonymous said...

How long have you been saying that? I really like the sketch of the horses.

Sophie said...

Approximately five years.

Anonymous said...

Well, 'round here we don't even bring up the subject. Excuse my language. I've been hearing to much Sarah Palin lately.