Friday, February 22, 2008

plus I read three New Yorkers, a Popular Psychology , a book called Love Sick and a little bit of Freakonomics

I enjoyed this Tom Maurstad story about sitting through all five best picture Oscar nominee films back-to-back, especially since I just did some marathon film-watching of my own, on my long, long, so long flights.

Over the course of four international flights, I watched Brokeback Mountain again. I enjoyed it more than the first time but it still didn't make me cry. The Chronicles of Narnia, did, though. I always did cried when they killed Aslan in the book and I cried again seeing it in the movie. I thought the movie did a perfectly fine job with the story, and I was fearful about that, having loved the books as a girl. The special effects were lovely. I also cried at a clumsy little tearjerker called Evening, starring Vanessa Redgrave and Claire Danes. It kind of sucked, but a dying mother and all...

I watched Dan in Real Life, which made no impression and most of Elizabeth: Into the Golden Age, a reasonably satisfying costume drama with good spooky acting by Cate Blanchett. Oh yes, and Vanity Fair with Reese Witherspoon, which went down real easy. I watched Into the Wild, which was more absorbing than I expected. Hal Holbrook made me cry.


Finally I watched a Britcom with Alan Partridge. I'd read a profile about the comic in the New Yorker not long ago (that might have run years ago--New Yorkers tend to stack up in this house) but had never seen him. The show was hilarious. I started watching an episode of different show of his, but we started our approach and I had to turn off and stow all electronic devices and return seat back to full and upright position.

No comments: