Wednesday, February 25, 2009

why you're wrong about facebook

This Jeff Koterba cartoon (2/19/09, if you’re coming to this post late) ran in my newspaper on Saturday and it made my eyes roll so hard, I got dizzy.

Want to sound outdated and left behind? Then smirk about how online social networking is only being done by pathetic losers living sad, sad lives in their mothers’ basements.

Stupid. That’s one reason newspapers are circling the drain—they simply refused to acknowledge the coming Internet tsunami and even now, evidently, they don’t quite believe its power. Maybe if they mock it, it will go away.

I don’t know about you, but my Facebook Friends are interesting, vibrant, involved, accomplished people whose lives are not the least bit sad. They just happen enjoy Facebook. And Twitter. In fact, they may be the opposite of sad and cut off because they have embraced new technology and a changing world.

We share mundane details of our lives sometimes. And sometimes we share links to compelling articles. Good jokes and videos. (Emphasis on good, we hope.) Job leads. Sources for stories. Sympathy. Support. Attagirl and attaboys. We comment on current events. We get creative. The 25 Things fad was creative writing. Now an entertaining little game is running through Facebook that involves creating an album cover. (Haven't received it yet? You will.) It's fun, entertaining, and can exercise a little design muscle. Nothing wrong with that.

Here’s a column from the Washington Post about all the Twittering (I’m not wild for the use of “Tweet” in this context—perhaps I’ll change) that was going on in Congress during President Obama’s speech last night. It’s less patronizing but still a little incredulous. People actually DO this stuff? Like, real people?

I don’t say everyone has to do this stuff but … well, to an extent, I do say everyone has to do this stuff, to stay relevant in a changing society. I know people in PR and marketing who have not mastered it yet. Seems to me they are choosing to become obsolete.

At the very least , everyone needs to understand the place, purpose and power of online social networking before deciding to reject it. And if you do reject it, be aware that you are cutting yourself out of a strata of society—and one that’s not as pathetic as you want to believe.

Digg my article

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My experience with social networking sites has been through my teen/young adult children. Mostly immature, self absorbed angst, which is understandable. I realize social pages are a wonderful way for families and friends to stay connected. I wonder how much time one spends on a computer, whether work or pleasure, determines the level of participation. As for staying relevant, I acknowledged my irrelevance long ago. To each their own. My only question for you Sophie is, how does a self professed introvert manage to stay so connected? When yo don't feel like blogging or commenting, what keeps you going? Is it the obligation you feel to your readers or is it part addiction to the medium? Either way, I admire your ability to do it.

Unknown said...

I actually think online social networking is an introvert's dream--I can't speak for Sophie, but it allows me to stay connected without getting overwhelmed. If I want to socialize, I can use FAcebook to get in touch with people and set up a "date." If I want to be on my own, I can use Facebook to communicate with friends without the face-to-face. Either way, I'm connected and entertained--and happy!

Sophie said...

You can and do speak for me, Lara. It is a perfect way to stay in touch while maintaining the boundaries I need.

Coffee, what keeps me going is a little bit of all of the above. I am addicted to the medium, absolutely. I can't lie. I also spend a LOT of time alone in front of a computer (in a non-pathetic way--it's a living). And I do feel an obligation to my readers. This (and all my other online activities, including commenting on other people's blogs) is part of how I market and brand myself.

Truthfully, I have thought many times in recent months about abandoning this blog altogether. I'm tired. But I think that would be a mistake. I've made new connections with it, explored new mediums, and I think it serves a purpose in my professional life.

I find it particularly helpful when I am getting frustrated and discouraged with other aspects of my professional life, since I have more freedom here. Sometimes, when I start crawling up my own hiney professionally, what I really need to do is come here and stretch out, creatively.

Karen Harrington said...

Well said. Facebook and Twitter are like most things in life - if you are smart, you can make good use of them. And as a stay at home mom, I'd be a total shut-in without on-line communication. I like knowing what all my friends in MA and CA are doing, too. So, I'm with you on this one.

And I hope you don't abandon your blog. I remember when you blogged prolifically on MySpace and I kinda miss those days. But now after a year of ravenous blogging myself, I can see a day when I will think, why?

Sophie said...

I miss those days too, Karen. I've been trying to figure out what has changed between then and now. I was so much more driven then.

I suspect Facebook and Twitter have contributed to the decline in my blogging. I share a lot of links and flotsam there. I might have to start doubling up on how I use things.