Thursday, September 10, 2009

love songs i love

First published November 15, 2007

--

A friend sent me a video clip of The Beatles singing "‘Til There Was You" (quick--what Broadway musical is that song from?) and it got me thinking about a live performance of "This Boy" we have on a Beatles documentary. The first time I watched it, I melted right off the couch. A young friend was visiting at the time and laughed at me and at my very special lovable moptops—she found them “goofy.” But the Beatles were, absolutely, my first true love and I will never see them as anything but transcendent.

That John, Paul and George could step up to a microphone and produce harmonies so exquisite is a miracle. Plus, this is one of those songs I liked to imagine they were singing just to me. I have watched that performance many times and it makes me swoon every time.

So this got me thinking about other love songs that touch a soft spot for me and "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" comes to mind immediately. (Does that count as a love song? No matter.)



I could probably list a dozen Beatles songs that should have been written for me but let’s give others a chance.

Steve Earle’s "Fearless Heart," if only for this line in the chorus: I got me a fearless heart, strong enough to get you through the scary part.

Goofy as it is, "Make Believe," from Show Boat.

Also goofy, Billy Joel’s "She’s Got A Way About Her."

James Taylor’s "Something in the Way She Moves." (James Taylor was great before he became Raffi for adults.)

Simon and Garfunkle’s "Why Don’t You Write Me." (Obscure, I know, but I grew to love it back when I was in summer camp pining for a boy back home.)

"Planet of Love," which was written by a Nashville songwriter guy named Jim Lauderdale but which Mandy Barnett sings the crap out of. You can listen to it on her website—look under Listening Room and the 1996 album Asylum.

Hm, and while we’re in the country vein, "My Secret Flame" by The Mavericks.

I also like a sassy little version of "Slow Boat to China" that Bette Midler and Barry Manilow do. Maybe that’s more lust than love, but it makes me tingle even with those two cartoon characters (and I say that with affection) singing it.

I could probably go on and on but I’ll stop here. Tell me your swooners. (And next time, we’ll do heartbreak songs.)

4 comments:

Iggy said...

The Book Of Love by Stephin Merritt, sung to perfection by Peter Gabriel. It states its case simply and with great economy, and it reminds me of a love I should have given a wedding ring to many years ago.

Sophie said...

Go find her on Facebook, Iggy. Ya never know...

Iggy said...

Too late, she's married already, and quite happily it seems (sigh).

Anonymous said...

"In My Life" The Beatles
"Run" George Strait
"Texas Tornado" by Tracy Lawrence
"Walking After Midnight" Patsy Cline (almost put "Crazy" too but that's for your next post I think - ha)

Probably more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.